Thursday 26 January 2012

Julia Woolf: Portfolio Visit via Email

Hi Rebecca
I have finally finished my heavy work load and have had a good look at your on-line portfolio.

I think you have a very strong graphic look to your work. I particularly like your decorative skulls which you designed for Salford Zine Library. Great colours and shapes. Also very commercial which is a good thing, especially for getting work.
I think they are the most successful in your portfolio.
Next I like the image for 'Killer Fashion', a good strong graphic image. I think your work lends itself to editorial illustration.

I don't find your character work as strong as your more graphic images. I think characters can still be of a graphic nature, but you have to make sure that they are not too cartoony.
And if you are interested in picture books I think you will have to develop your style more.
Also if you are into writing and illustrating that is a very positive thing. Publishers are always interested in that combination.
Your story of the cat is going in the right direction but I think you need to look at whats in the book shops and see how they are layed out etc. The connection between text and illustration. There are some good books out there on how to make a picture book.

I hope this has been of some help, and good luck with your illustration. Great graphic quality to your work. I like that.

All the best and good luck

Julia
ps
If you have any questions, feel free to contact me.

No comments:

Post a Comment