Tuesday 1 March 2011

Tim Bradford

I contacted Tim Bradford asked him a few questions and he got back to me in 24 hours which I am very pleased with.
Here are the questions and Answers he replied with,

On 1st March, 2011, at 13:53, Tim Bradford wrote...

Hi, Rebecca, thanks for the email... Great to hear from a fellow illustrator.

Are these questions to do with an assignment you're writing? I'll try and answer them as best I can for you below.

Tim.

What are your inspirations? and is there anyone you inspire to be like?
Nature and people mainly... any design or art form of any kind can inspire me, I love film especially... I think sometimes I anspire to be a little bit like everyone that inspires me if that makes sense!

How do you come up with ideas for projects that have been set for you? How do you get started?
I just start drawing. I don't know of a better way to work through ideas... I'm a visual person so thats what comes first, you have to be critical all the time to make sure it communicates well.

When/If you get stuck, or have no ideas, how do you dig yourself out of a hole?
It's normal to have off days every now and then and can be frustrating, I find a good way of refreshing yourself is to change your surroundings... I sometimes relocate the studio to a quiet place in the garden, or take my sketchbook out into town and draw people... also draw at unlikely times, out of normal working hours when you can be less critical, that can often start off some interesting ideas.

Is there any routine to the way you work? For example, drawings onto illustrator, etc.
Pencil sketch... colour up in illustrator... tweak in photoshop... thats the usual set up but sometimes if it's black and white or two-tone just a pen will do before taking it into photoshop.

Is there any advice you could give to a student trying to make it in the illustration business?
Join the AOi and take the advantage of the benefits of being a member... Get close to London (it helps with meeting clients)... keep developing your work... try and get an agent who can give you some great publicity and just be open to stuff!



I am very please with his responses, he is a brilliant illustrator with great advice! Thanks Tim

No comments:

Post a Comment